with gallery: Purdue spoils senior night for Michigan women's basketball team with 60-49 win
- Images from Michigan softball's eighth inning Super Regional win over Louisiana Lafayette
- Skyline girls soccer goes from inception to league title in five years
- Skyline wins first SEC Red girls soccer title with 1-0 win over Huron
- Rolling Hills Water Park to open for Memorial Day weekend with $4.5M in upgrades
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_16_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_17_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_18_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_19_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_20_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_21_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_22_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_23_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_24_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_25_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_26_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_27_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_28_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_29_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_30_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_31_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_32_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_33_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_34_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_35_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_36_fullsize.jpg
- /calendar/photologue/photos/01 UM Purdue/cache/022312_SPT_UMichW_vs_PUR_MRM_15_fullsize.jpg
Updated 9:35 p.m.
Brittany Rayburn scored 15 points to lead No. 22-ranked Purdue to a 60-49 win over the Michigan women’s basketball team on Thursday night.
Rachel Sheffer scored 15 points for Michigan, which lost its third straight home game after winning nine of its first 10 games at the Crisler Center.
Michigan (19-9, 8-7 Big Ten) trailed 41-40 with 8:17 left to play following a layup by Sam Arnold. Purdue (20-8, 10-5) answered with an 8-2 run, capped by a Rayburn 3-pointer with 5:26 remaining, and controlled the game from there.
"We made a couple of defensive mistakes down the stretch, and this was a game where we couldn't afford to make any mistakes," Michigan coach Kevin Borseth said in a post-game press conference. "Inside the five-minute mark, when the game is almost over, you have to play perfect. I thought Purdue was able to have a perfect game within the five-minute mark and I didn't think that we did."
It was senior night for the Wolverines, but the two seniors in Michigan’s primary rotation both had forgettable nights.
Carmen Reynolds (11 points) and Courtney Boylan (6 points) combined to make 7-of-20 shots from the floor and go 1-for-5 from 3-point range. Backup guard Jamillya Hardley was in the starting lineup for the first time in her career, but didn’t attempt a shot in three minutes of action.
Junior guard Jenny Ryan contributed 8 points, 10 rebounds, four steals and three assists for Michigan.
Chantel Poston scored 12 points and Courtney Moses 11 for Purdue, which had lost its last three games and five of its last six.
The Boilermakers shot 45 percent (23 of 51), including 50 percent in the second half, when they extended their 27-23 halftime lead.
Michigan was limited to 37.7 percent shooting (20 of 53) but outrebounded Purdue 36-30.
"I didn't realize that we beat them on the glass. Trying to get around the basket to score was very difficult for us because it was such a physical game," Borseth said. "It was Big Ten basketball and it was very physical. I told the coaches after the first half that I thought we got beat up. I was an extremely physical contest."
Video highlights from the Big Ten Network:
The Associated Press contributed to this report.