Posted on Wed, Aug 18, 2010 : 12:32 p.m.

Calvin Magee mostly mum on winged helmets, talks Michigan football quarterbacks

By Pete Bigelow

Michigan football offensive coordinator Calvin Magee kept quiet Wednesday afternoon when asked if Wolverines quarterback Tate Forcier had earned back his wings yet.

"I won't tell you that," Magee said, before adding, "I have mine."

Multiple members of the Michigan football team had wings stripped from their helmets this summer, including Forcier, because head coach Rich Rodriguez said they must earn the right to wear them.

Asked if the loss of his wings had spurred Forcier to improve, Magee said, "I don't know if it lit a fire under him or not," but added he was generally pleased with Forcier's performance this summer.

"Tate has been competing and playing and doing well," he said. "They're all competing. It's interesting. They're all competing and understanding what's at stake for the team. They're all in it for the team right now."

Here's comments from Magee on how Michigan's two other main quarterbacks are faring this summer:

On true freshman Devin Gardner: "In the spring, he did a good job for a kid coming right out high school, and because of the natural progression of being here, he's picking up more and more of (the offensive gameplan) and gaining confidence."

On the improvement of Denard Robinson, Forcier's main competitor for the starting QB job: "Overall, he's just understanding the complete scheme. Just the overall person as a quarterback, just having spring ball under his belt and he's progressing the way a young quarterback progresses."

Comments

keetmalik

Thu, Aug 19, 2010 : 10:40 a.m.

Thank You milkmoney! Thas' good stuff!!! Go Blue!!!

wvtroll

Thu, Aug 19, 2010 : 6:27 a.m.

Is Magee eligible to play? After all, he has his wings!

Sean T.

Wed, Aug 18, 2010 : 7:43 p.m.

I agree Bacert, I don't believe Denard will have a chance when the game-time situations come. I really hate to be so critical of him but I've seen nothing that implies he can beat anyone on our schedule. Truly, speed is all he brings to the table but I hope he changes my mind. Blitz-packages are gonna be hell on 3rd and 11, I mean hell!

bacert

Wed, Aug 18, 2010 : 7:05 p.m.

I still think Tate should be the man this year. Denard looks greatly improved, but remember what the cornerbacks he is throwing against in practice looks like. The big ten teams will eat him alive.

azwolverine

Wed, Aug 18, 2010 : 6:45 p.m.

milkmoney, I CAN breathe easy now. And I was getting worried there for a while. Thanks!

A2D2

Wed, Aug 18, 2010 : 2:59 p.m.

Maybe Mark Moundros or Cam Gordon can be switched to quarterback.

NoBowl4Blue

Wed, Aug 18, 2010 : 2:02 p.m.

Tate will leave, Denard will be a questionable passer at best. Gardner is Rich Rod's only hope. Hell put Denard at corner

Sean T.

Wed, Aug 18, 2010 : 1:24 p.m.

Now that was funny!

milkmoney11

Wed, Aug 18, 2010 : 12:39 p.m.

I don't know why everyone is so worried about Michigan's quarterback situation. Everyone will be glad to know that according to my EA Xbox 360 dynasty Michigan will recruit a 5 star quarterback named Ross Perez in three years and he will accept the scholarship. In addition, they will win the big 10 in four years and finish 3rd in the country. Breathe easy everyone...it has been foretold