Posted on Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 11:05 a.m.

Fashion panel tackles college football, says Michigan's uniforms are best

By Jim Knight

MICHIGAN-UNIFORMS.JPG

The helmet really tops off the classic Michigan football look, according to a panel of fashion analysts.

Jeff Sainlar | AnnArbor.com

A distinctive winged helmet, "bold, bright colors" and a clean font put the classic Michigan football uniform on top of the college football world, a panel of fashion analysts told the Wall Street Journal.

In a time of changing uniform and special one-game looks, the panel said the Wolverines are a clear winner. Especially when you look at the well-known Michigan helmet. From the article:

"Anyone that uses it, no matter what color you put it in, it's Michigan," said Anthony Coleman, the managing editor of the fashion and street culture blog SlamxHype. "You can use it, but realize that you're stealing from Michigan."

Other winners: Maryland, Oregon, Colorado and Michigan's Sugar Bowl opponent, Virginia Tech.

The losers: UCLA, Washington State, Clemson, Baylor and any team with a red-and-white color scheme.

Comments

Bobby

Sun, Dec 25, 2011 : 5:11 p.m.

I do like the cosmetic make up of UM vs any red/white teams, PSU, and even Ohio's colors, despite my disdain for the school, the colors Look good against each other.

Bobby

Sun, Dec 25, 2011 : 5:07 p.m.

Uniforms as shown above are perfect and don't need to be messed with, no stripes necessary. UM second to none. I do disagree with some here about other schools uni's look. My top 5: Michigan NOTRE Lame Penn St. WISKY/Neb Florida St. Bottom 5 Marylands new unis Tennessee BOISE (new and old) Texas USC

81wolverine

Sun, Dec 25, 2011 : 3:07 a.m.

I agree with MRunner73 in that changing the look of the uniform too much with too many special designs can undermine the brand image of the Michigan look. Take Oregon as an example. They change their uniform many times each season to the point where you don't know what their distinctive look is. They don't have one basically. Same thing with Notre Dame. They keep changing their uniform so much you start to lose the visual image of what a ND team looks like on the field.

Dcam

Sat, Dec 24, 2011 : 5:57 p.m.

&quot;&quot;Hurry Up&quot; Yost is one of the most interesting and enthusiastic football coaches in the country. The title of &quot;Hurry Up&quot; has been given him on account of the &quot;pep&quot; he puts into his men and the speed at which they work. Whether in a restaurant or a crowded street, hotel lobby or on a railroad train, Yost will proceed to demonstrate this or that play and carefully explain many of the things well worth while in football. He is always in deadly earnest. ... &quot;I have been at Michigan fifteen seasons. My 1901 team is perhaps the most remarkable in the history of football in many ways. It scored 550 points to opponents' nothing, and journeyed 3500 miles. We played Stanford on New Year's day, using no substitutes. On this great team were Neil Snow, and the remarkable quarterback Boss Weeks. Willie Heston, who was playing his first year at Michigan, was another star on this team. &quot;Boss Weeks' two teams scored more than 1200 points. If that team had been in front of the Chinese Wall and got the signal to go, not a man would have hesitated. Every man that played under Boss Weeks idolized him, and when word was brought to the university that he had died, every Michigan man felt that its university had lost one of its greatest men. &quot;There is a wonderful athletic spirit at Michigan, and when we have mass meetings in the Hill Auditorium 6000 men turn out. At such a time one feels the great power behind an athletic team. Some of the great Michigan football players within my recollection were Jimmy Baird, Jack McLain, Neil Snow, Boss Weeks, Tom Hammond, Willie Heston, Herrnstein, grand old Germany Schultz, Benbrook, Stan Wells, Dan McGugin, Dave Allerdice, Hugh White and others I might mention on down to John Maulbetsch.&quot;&quot; excerpt from: Football Days, pub 1914. There also is a picture of the 1901 Michigan Football team, in uniforms. <a href="http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18048" rel='nofollow'>http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18048</a>

RWBill

Sat, Dec 24, 2011 : 1:51 p.m.

This is what most of us feel. A &quot;legacy&quot; uniform once every few years is enough. Michigan makes an impression as it is. Don't water it down with yikes, stripes, Beechnut's got 'em.

Lac Court Orilles

Sat, Dec 24, 2011 : 1:05 p.m.

Eastern Michigan's football simplistic &quot;forest green&quot; uniforms with the Block &quot;E&quot; are pretty nice too. The Block E is immediately recognized; nice logo design!

azwolverine

Sat, Dec 24, 2011 : 1:54 p.m.

Yes, their current uniform is nice and I hope they keep it. EMU has changed their unis quite a bit over the years, so it's hard to tell if this newest one is permanent.

Engineer

Sat, Dec 24, 2011 : 5:33 a.m.

This is news? I don't think so! Everybody with half a brain knows Michigan is TOPS in pretty much everything. So whats the news?

7718

Sat, Dec 24, 2011 : 3:18 a.m.

Brandon talks about tradition but seems to want to go away from it somewhat with his ideas. I always thought it was the team, the team, the team. Seems like Brandon wants it about the brand, the brand, the brand. I realize his job is to raise revenue, but this is Michigan for God's sake.

heartbreakM

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 11:17 p.m.

What a brilliant article. Enough to feed our egos a bit, no? And obvious. Don't mess with the unis. They are quite nice the way they are.

smokeblwr

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 7:48 p.m.

Next year maybe we can get an Arby's or Domino's logo on the helmets to enhance our Brand(on)!

David Briegel

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 7:44 p.m.

Michigan football no longer has a &quot;uniform&quot;. They have a Wardrobe!

A2James

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 7:40 p.m.

Not only (according to this poll) do we have the best uniforms, Ohio State has the worst. I know technically they're &quot;scarlet&quot;, but that's still close enough to red and white. Michigan beats OSU yet again!

D21

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 6:45 p.m.

MRunner73, Brandon can create something else for his former employer, Domino's, with new and cool pizza designs: 1) The Urban Meyer Special: Half/half pizza with up to 10 surprise toppings on one side (Meyer) of the pizza and just a pickle topping on the other side (Fickell)...to commemorate Brandon's objections of the NCAA's grant of special privilege for the Fickell staff to coach the bowl game with the Meyer staff out recruiting. 2) The WFCIMH Special: Gooey blue cheese with deep fried anchovies in a RR form and a red slash (thinly sliced heirloom tomato slices) across it in a deep dish crust (symbol of RR creating a quagmire everytime he opens his mouth about UM). 3) The Little Brother Special: Dyed green cheese sprinkled generously over mini meatballs (gholston &amp; danner) in a 3 inch mini thin crust and is very popular with infants &amp; toddlers. GO BLUE AND KEEP THE TRADITION! TiM

D21

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 10:54 p.m.

LOL, wanna be my patent attorney? AD Brandon can sell the &quot;special&quot; jerseys on the side without using them in the game. I don't mind the maize jerseys as it would be cool, too, which would come with blue pants like WVA and Cal. GO BLUE!

MRunner73

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 9:59 p.m.

D21: LOL, that's a really cool and clever idea. Better put a patent on those.

vi4mi4

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 5:34 p.m.

duh.. Go Blue! v

MRunner73

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 5:24 p.m.

Another note to Dave Brandon: Please do not feel compelled to do a throwback or alternate jersey three or four times a year. In some ways it tarnishes the brand, thus, you can't have ot both ways. If the brand of Michigan is the utmost concern, then do what is best for the tradition. As an Atheltic Director of this great university, also ask; What would Bo suggest? Perhaps borrowing some ideas from &quot;Bo's Lasting Lessons&quot; can also be of help.

D21

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 11:01 p.m.

Mick

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 5:21 p.m.

We always knew we had the best and most recognized uniform. Like I've stated earlier, the only thing I wouldn't mind is if we wore all Maize on the road w/blue lettering and numbering and that awesome helmet would look so cool IMHO. Since red and white is not great according to WSJ, can we add Scarlett and gray to that? I noticed they weren't even mentioned in either category, haha. I've always liked USC as well as Cal and WVU unis for obvious reasons.

Ron Granger

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 5:20 p.m.

It is my sincere hope that someday the Spartan nation will embrace the skirt their mascot wears and adopt it as part of their offical uniform - to be worn by all players and Spartan fans.

riverraisin

Sat, Dec 24, 2011 : 2:54 p.m.

Don't think I'd ever want to watch them play in those uni's...that's for sure!....lol..

paperstreetsoap

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 5:14 p.m.

I also think that it is the best uniform out there, and it looks like most of the adults agree with that. However what does the younger demographic feel? I seem to hear that you have to appeal to the 'kids'. IMHumbleO I think leave it alone and win, and the kids will come to you.

D21

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 4:59 p.m.

A note to AD Brandon, Do not mess with the tradition! Merry Christmas.

Tru2Blu76

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 4:45 p.m.

Love it! Absolutely hilarious. Michigan wins again! Funny that the &quot;worst&quot; category didn't include the blaring example of over-exuberant Oregon unis, though. Have a Merry Maize and Blue Christmas, everyone!

DonAZ

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 4:27 p.m.

I'm horribly biased. But if I try to put bias aside for a moment I still say Michigan's overall image is in the top two or three. Instantly recognizable. The winged helmet for sure (my opinion -- *the* most iconic helmet in college football), the tone of the &quot;maize&quot; (it is *not* yellow), and the deepness of the blue. Other possible contenders -- o USC -- I hate them for what they did to Michigan in the 70's, but their &quot;look&quot; is iconic. o Iowa -- always liked that bold black/yellow look o Oklahoma or Nebraska (same look) -- despite the ban on &quot;red and white&quot; (above), their look always epitomized the no-nonsense smash-mouth football of my earlier years. Those I don't care for -- o Oregon of late -- *way* too commercial and gimmicky. o Penn State -- yeah, I get the &quot;our focus is on football&quot; theme ... still, it looks frumpy o UNC -- okay for bball uniforms, but that &quot;Carolina Blue&quot; for football is awful o UCLA -- no contrast ... it looked washed out o Texas -- maybe second-most iconic to Michigan ... just don't like that burnt orange color Why did I just spend 10 minutes thinking about and writing that? :-)

Dcam

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 6:22 p.m.

For once I can wholeheartedly agree with an article on the Wolverines - the traditional uniform is by far the best, lacking only the traditional, Michigan high-top black spikes, of course. As to Texas orange, though, my neighbor would be quite upset with you. He's got Longhorn Orange wherever his wife lets him paint it on. I also love red and white, or in reality, cardinal and white - ala Bucky Badger.

DonAZ

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 5:12 p.m.

@Robert -- I recognized the similarities, but I didn't know the history. I had always thought they arrived at the black-and-gold thing more or less simultaneously given the &quot;bold&quot; combination of colors. What were they before?

Robert Granville

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 5:07 p.m.

I can't agree with you on Iowa. Look up the history on their current uniforms. The credit is due to the Steelers...

Tru2Blu76

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 4:49 p.m.

Don, I'm solidly with you about the Notre Dummies. :-) Oregon: at least recently, they've been able to avoid laughs because of their top ranking. But like all programs: there'll come a time when stadium audiences will have to laugh when the Ducks (another gaff) come onto the field.

chiro19

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 4:48 p.m.

Those that are good besides Mich to add: 1) Even though I cant stand them ND's green and white jerseys 2) Bama 3) Cal Those that suck: 1) Little Brother's (because they will always be # 2 or 3 in the state of Mich even if they beat Mich!) 2) Iowa State- One for what they use to look like and two for trying to steal USC's 3) Marylands rediculous flag uniforms!

DonAZ

Fri, Dec 23, 2011 : 4:30 p.m.

Oh, forgot to add -- Notre Dame. Their super-shiney gold helmet look this year was just horrible. Plus ... I just despise Notre Dame. Always have.