Posted on Thu, May 3, 2012 : 4:17 p.m.

Michigan announces 3:30 p.m. kickoff for Illinois game; now has 5 expected late starts

By Kyle Meinke

Another Michigan football game has been set in stone -- and another Michigan football game will have a late start time.

The Wolverines announced Thursday their Oct. 13 homecoming game against Illinois will begin at 3:30 p.m. and air on ABC.

Toussaint_Cut_Illinois.jpg

Michigan running back Fitz Toussaint ran for 192 yards and a touchdown in the Wolverines' 31-14 win at Illinois last season. The Illini visit Michigan Stadium for a 3:30 p.m. homecoming game on Oct. 13.

Melanie Maxwell I AnnArbor.com

Michigan now has four games with scheduled start times for next season, each of which are at 3:30 p.m. or later. It will travel to Notre Dame for a 7:30 p.m. game Sept. 22, then to Purdue for a 4 p.m game before returning home to host Illinois for homecoming.

Two weeks later, it travels to Nebraska for an 8 p.m. game. That's the Wolverines' first game in Lincoln in program history.

Additionally, the Wolverines' season opener in Dallas against Alabama is expected to be a night game. That gives them at least five late games for next season, with their first four away games among them.

Kyle Meinke covers Michigan football for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached at 734-623-2588, by email at kylemeinke@annarbor.com and followed on Twitter @kmeinke.

Comments

rensational

Fri, May 4, 2012 : 3:01 p.m.

To me, Saturdays are precisely for, well, at least being "stuck in front of a TV." The one thing I don't like about these later games, other than the fact that our current team might not be used to quite so many later start times, is the evening is when a lot of other great games come on. Saturdays at 11/noon are typically boring games, so if Michigan is playing I don't tend to feel that I'm missing anything other than just spying the competition (i.e. watching Ohio State pound Ohio or Michigan State whip Youngstown State). Now, there will be stuff like LSU-Auburn or Oklahoma-West Virginia, for example, at competing time slots with us. Only a problem if you love college football in general and not just Michigan football.

Tom

Mon, May 7, 2012 : 12:02 a.m.

You're not missing anything if you miss a Michigan game. Who will win the 2014 rematch with App State? Where's the threat?

Ross

Fri, May 4, 2012 : 12:48 p.m.

Personally, I think this is great. I would much rather have nearly a full day to get stuff done before I get stuck in front of the TV drinking beer. GO BLUE!

heartbreakM

Fri, May 4, 2012 : 1:28 a.m.

since when is 3:30 considered late? Even 4:00 is not truly late if you think about it... For years, many of Michgan's games have been 3:30 games.

Blue Marker

Fri, May 4, 2012 : 11:13 a.m.

I'll have to disagree there. For years Michigan games were at noon. Perhaps I'm a bit older than you but that's the way it used to be for the longest time. It was TV that moved some games from noon to 3:30 and it's TV moving them to 8 PM. So be it, that's the way of the world today.