Michigan coach Brady Hoke not worried about losing 6 players or depth at safety
For an analysis of the Carvin Johnson departure, click here.
The Michigan football program announced late Tuesday that sophomore safety Carvin Johnson no longer is with the team.
He is the sixth player to leave the Wolverines since July, and the second defensive back in the past week.
Coach Brady Hoke is not worried about the attrition.
"Happens in football," Hoke said this afternoon.
Johnson's departure follows freshman cornerback Gregg Brown, who left the team last week. Others to have left the program include junior receiver Je'Ron Stokes and freshmen tight end Chris Barnett, offensive lineman Tony Posada and linebacker Kellen Jones.
A reason for Johnson's exit, much like the others, was not given.
Johnson played in every game this season, six at safety. He had 14 tackles, and played an important reserve role at a position of tenuous depth.
Starting junior safety Jordan Kovacs did not play last week against Purdue, and his status is unknown for Saturday's game against Iowa (Noon, ESPN). Hoke said he practiced Tuesday and is "day to day."
The emergence of true freshman Blake Countess at cornerback has helped mitigate the depth issues at safety, as it allowed Michigan to move senior starting cornerback Troy Woolfolk to safety. He is listed as the backup at both the free and strong safety positions behind Thomas Gordon and Kovacs, respectively.
"When we started, (safety was) probably one of the deepest slots we were at," Hoke said. "With the progress Blake has made, that's helped, because we're able to put Troy over there."
Hoke also was asked whether safety Marvin Robinson, who hasn't played since the Notre Dame game and has battled an undisclosed injury, is available to play at Iowa.
"You've got to be healthy to play," he said.