Posted on Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 10:39 a.m.

Spartans in a tough spot: They need to root for the Michigan football team

By AnnArbor.com Staff

KIRK-COUSINS-1.jpg

Will Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins and fans of the Spartans quietly root for the Michigan football team on Saturday?

Associated Press

For one day, Michigan State football fans may root for Michigan.

The Spartans (8-2, 5-1) are in control of the Legends Division of the Big Ten Conference and can clinch a berth in the first league title game Saturday if two things happen.

1. Michigan State needs to beat visiting Indiana.

2. The Spartans need Michigan to beat Nebraska.

So should Michigan State fans feel OK rooting for Michigan? Lansing State Journal reporter Joe Rexrode gives them permission.

From Rexrode:

Perhaps it's preferable for the MSU fan to see the Spartans win twice to clinch it on their own, while the Wolverines lose twice and fall to irrelevance. But the fact is, you can't assume an MSU win at Northwestern in the regular-season finale. You should take it any way you can get it.

Comments

Engineer

Wed, Nov 16, 2011 : 3:34 a.m.

Dumtonio will be rooting for Ohio State. He is looking forward to going there next year. I hope moo u looses every game unless it benefits Michigan. When sparty wins the arrogance rains down worse than any other school ever. They beat a div 2 school the first game of the season they think they are going to the national title game. Give it up little bro!

jeff blue

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 7:41 p.m.

I think that this is totally ridiculous -- most of us live in Michigan. We should have a respectfull rivalry with Michigan State. They should back us in every game, except for THE one. And we should back them every game, except for THE one. Oregon vs Oregon Sate is my definition of a good football rivalry: 1. A very intense football game against an instate rival one game per year. Emotions run high and everybody wants the W. 2. Repect for the other school. Sure one is better academically, but they still have respect. 3. Back your instate rival in every other game -- especially in bowl games. Why can't people in the State of Michigan be as intelligent and good willed, as people in the State of Oregon? JEFF

MRunner73

Wed, Nov 16, 2011 : 10:14 p.m.

Oh quit with the passive approach and appeal. I WOULD like to show some in state support to the Spartans football program, but I can't. They hate us, they are so "in-your-face" against the Michigan program that I treat other as they treat me. You can turn your cheek once and I'm OK with that, but after getting slapped time and again, then NO THNAKS. The Sparty Head Coach HATES all of us. Where's his respect, where's his intellect toward Michigan? The door swings both ways. I have some Sparty fan friends and I have respect for them as individuals and do say respectful things about the MSU program because they are the real deal. I do hope MSU loses at NW, then WI and then a bowl game...GO BLUE, GO BLUE, GO BLUE!!!

goldenblue

Wed, Nov 16, 2011 : 1:18 a.m.

zeeba you say state became competitive 10 years ago.Dantonio has been there 5 years and the last 2 years you have been good.the other 3 have been 6 win seasons. I wouldnt call that competitive.

jeff blue

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 10:21 p.m.

I agree. I have seen and heard lots of bad stuff. It is a really bad culture that we have developed in our State. Of course we see this politics today; everyone tunes in the cable channel that they agree with -- mutual respect is getting smashed, and people don't even listen to the other side.

riverraisin

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 10 p.m.

I suspect zeeba's comment is going to be deleted. I will give you my opinion on your posting. I used to root for MSU whenever they played football or basketball against anyone but Michigan. In the 1990's, when the UM vs MSU rivalry was really competive in basketball, I would watch the games being broadcast from Breslin. They always had the microphones set up close to the student section (as they still do). The whole game long, broadcast on TV, all you could hear were the students chanting degrading comments at the UM players and using disgusting language while doing it. At that point I lost all respect for MSU fans. In meeting former MSU students and talking sports, they have always stressed their hatred for the Wolverines. I never understood that because I harbored no hatred for Sparty. I also never rubbed it in their face when UM beat them in sports. With the advent of the internet and the availability of comment boards such as this, it has given people on both side free reign to talk 'smack' to the other side, and to do it anonymously. It is no longer good natured 'ribbing' but has, in fact, become downright hateful to levels never before attained. I doubt it will ever get better, but it is a good thing that this board is moderated to the extent that it is. In closing, I have to wonder why fans of another team come on our board and post degrading comments on here. I, personally, have no interest in what is going on on their boards and wouldn't waste my energy or time looking...let alone posting.

Lorain Steelmen

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 5:18 p.m.

Lets' assume for a moment, that UM does beat Nebraska, and msu is able to beat IU. Wow, Great! The Spartans are able to back 'in'. The following week, UM beats 'ohio', while msu travels to Northwestern, where the Mildcats upset msu, dropping the Green and White to 9-3. ...............UM finishes 10-2 Meanwhile, Wisconsin beats both Illinois saturday, and visiting Penn State on the 26th. The Badgers go on to absolutely, SMOKE, the spartans in their 'rematch' and msu drops to 9-4. .......Wisconsin goes to the Rose Bowl, and UM gets the no. 2 bowl, Capital One, ....so EVERYONE"S happy! UM wins the bowl and finishes 11-2, while msu gets beat AGAIN, and finsihes at 9-5. Gotta love it!

MRunner73

Wed, Nov 16, 2011 : 10:06 p.m.

Yep, I can see NW tripping up Sparty. I can see WI winning against Sparty at the B1G Championship game. Would love to see Sparty go down on more time in a bowl game. Overall, I like your thinking...GO BLUE!!!

Lorain Steelmen

Wed, Nov 16, 2011 : 12:43 a.m.

Um-MSU USED TO BE a decent rivalry, until Dantonio arrived, and fostered a dirty program. It now has made it way to the games, in the form of multiple personal fouls. Over ten by games end. ESPN was able to capture two, in particular, the interntional attempt to snap DRob's neck, and the sucker punch to Taylor Lewan, made national tv. We don't need msu fans to come on here and complain about how the fans don't get along. The problem has come from Dantonio and his assitants. Going to the 60's here, we remember, in particular, the Woody - Bo Ten Year War. Always physical and tough games, they were ALWAYS cleanly played. Too bad Dantonio has created the curture in East Lansing. Neither Woody or Bo would tolerate these spartan thugs.

jeff blue

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 8:15 p.m.

Exactly wrong! This post makes Michigan fans look like a "little people" -- exactly what we are NOT. Look at other good college football rivalries: Washington vs Washington State Oregon vs Oregon State Stanford vs Cal Hmm, seems to be a West Coast thing.....

DonAZ

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 7:40 p.m.

:-) I will drive to Ohio and shake your hand if this vision plays out. And I live in Tucson, Arizona ... that'd be a looooooong drive.

zeeba

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 6:21 p.m.

Nice to see you have such a rich fantasy life and derive so much enjoyment from your fertile imagination.

zeeba

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 5:16 p.m.

Best-case scenario for MSU is for Michigan to get swept in its last two games, which is pretty likely anyway. That would help recruiting and I just don't see State losing focus against NW with a berth in Indy on the line.

Engineer

Wed, Nov 16, 2011 : 3:36 a.m.

yeah like last year really helped your recruiting. You are academically inferior and a second rate school. Get over it!

Brent

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 7:53 p.m.

Thats the time when sparty chokes the most!

JadedBlackDepth

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 5:10 p.m.

How delusional. All the Spartans will do is beat up on Indiana and NW. Then they are in the B1G championship. The weasels can lose for all we care.

klondike

Tue, Nov 15, 2011 : 4:43 p.m.

We don't NEED to root for Michigan. If we win out, we go to the title game. We don't need Michigan's help. However, I wouldn't mind if Michigan beats Nebraska. I won't be rooting against them.