Useless (but fun) trivia from Michigan football team's Sugar Bowl packet
Useless trivia might be useless, but that doesn't make it pointless.
Among them (with a few from Virginia Tech's packet for balance):
• This will be Michigan and Virginia Tech's first meeting.
Angela J. Cesere | AnnArbor.com
• Brady Hoke is the eighth head coach to direct a team to a BCS bowl in his first season with a team.
• Michigan is making its 35th January bowl appearance, including for the 13th time in 15 bowl trips.
• Michigan lost its only previous Sugar Bowl appearance, falling 9-7 to Auburn in 1984.
• Virginia Tech lost both of its Sugar Bowl games in the BCS era, falling 46-29 to Florida State in the 1999 championship game and 16-13 to Auburn in 2004. The Hokies have one Sugar Bowl win under Beamer, but it predated the BCS era. They beat Texas 28-10 in 1995.
• Michigan has not faced an ACC team in a bowl game since 1994, when it beat North Carolina State 42-7 in the Hall of Fame Bowl. It is 1-1 all-time in bowl games against the ACC, losing its only other matchup to North Carolina in the 1979 Gator Bowl.
• Michigan is 18-3 all-time the ACC.
• Michigan's last game against the ACC was a win against Virginia in 1995. Virginia Tech has played only once against a Big Ten team, routing Indiana in the 1993 Independence Bowl.
• Michigan is the only bowl team in the country to face 10 bowl-bound opponents during the regular season.
• Michigan's eight wins against bowl teams matches LSU and Oklahoma State for the most in the country.
AP file photo
• This is Virginia Tech's sixth BCS bid, after going 1-4 in its five appearances.
• Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer is the winningest active coach (251 wins), due to Penn State's firing of Joe Paterno this year. Mack Brown at Texas is second with 226.
• Overall, Virginia Tech is 8-10 in bowl games under Beamer. It hasn't missed a bowl game since 1992.