You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Tue, Jun 11, 2013 : 10:42 a.m.

C.S. Mott Children's Hospital maintains solid position among top institutions in new rankings

By Amy Biolchini


C.S. Mott Children's Hospital in Ann Arbor.

Angela J. Cesere | file photo

The University of Michigan Health System's C.S. Mott Children's Hospital has once again maintained its position among the top facilities in the country, according to a new ranking of top children's hospitals released Tuesday morning by U.S. News & World Report.

The 2013-14 Best Children's Hospitals report ranks hospitals across the country in 10 specialties after surveying 178 pediatric facilities.

UMHS opened the new $754 million C.S. Mott Children's Hospital to patients in December 2011. The 1.1-million-square-foot facility doubled the size of the former Mott Hospital.

Earlier this year, Parents magazine named the facility among the top 10 pediatric hospitals in the country.

In the new U.S. News rankings, C.S. Mott Hospital has received a ranking in the top 50 facilities for each of the 10 specialties, and is the only hospital in Michigan to be ranked in all 10 specialties:

  • Cancer: 37th (2012-13: 46th; 2011-12: 31st; 2010-11: 25th)
  • Cardiology & Heart Surgery: 6th (2012-13: 4th; 2011-12: 3rd; 2010-11: 4th)
  • Diabetes & Endocrinology: 21st (2012-13: 17th; 2011-12: 22nd; 2010-11: 26th)
  • Gastroenterology: 30th (2012-13: 37th; 2011-12: 25th)
  • Neonatology: 42th (2012-13 24th; 2011-12: 18th; 2010-11: 22nd)
  • Nephrology: 20th (2012-13: 32nd; 2011-12: 20th; 2010-11: 19th)
  • Neurology & Neurosurgery: 30th (2012-13: 21st; 2011-12: 27th)
  • Orthopedics: 33rd (2012-13: 14th; 2011-12: 13th; 2010-11: 13th)
  • Pulmonology: 22nd (2012-13: 34th; 2011-12: 21st; 2010-11: 22nd)
  • Urology: 20th (2012-13: 41st; 2011-12: 20th; 2010-11: 28th)

“We are extremely proud that we continue to get high rankings from U.S. News & World Report for the tremendous care we provide to our patients and families at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital,” said Dr. Ora Pescovitz, CEO of UMHS, in a statement. “We strive for an ideal patient care experience, so it’s wonderful to receive recognition for our efforts and to be ranked year after year among the nation’s best in all the specialties.”

U.S. News & World Report surveys the hospitals that it ranks by obtaining data on factors including the availability of key resources and the hospital's ability to prevent complications and infections.

The hospital data consists of about 75 percent of the ranking, while a separate survey of 1,500 pediatric specialists makes up the remaining 25 percent.

Amy Biolchini covers Washtenaw County, health and environmental issues for Reach her at (734) 623-2552, or on Twitter.



Wed, Jun 12, 2013 : 1:56 p.m.

My granddaughter was recently hospitalized there, and I saw firsthand how good these people are. Tabitha didn't want to go home! Mott ROCKS!!!


Tue, Jun 11, 2013 : 7:45 p.m.



Tue, Jun 11, 2013 : 5:01 p.m.

I tell you from first hand experience: This place ROCKS!!! The team on 12 East treated my son and us like royalty. His care was impeccable as proven by his recovery time.


Tue, Jun 11, 2013 : 3:05 p.m.

The methodology is always very obscure in these polls. It is hard to tell whether or not they reflect the quality of care at each hospital or if they are just a popularity poll among referring physicians. The failure to report child pornography and the secrecy of the investigation as to who was responsible does not give me great confidence in the safety of children referred to Mott's. As one pediatrician told the Regents during public comments, she would not refer her patients to Mott's.

sheri barron RN,BSN

Wed, Jun 12, 2013 : 2:55 p.m.

You would think that the Child Porn Case would have affected the ratings. I read how they rate the hospitals. One of the ways is how many patients die. I am NOT sure that the Umcih always takes responsibilty when they should. I know they did not with my Mom. When you can't find a lawyer to go against the Umich on a contingency, I think that says a lot about how determined they are to make sure people can't know the truth.