"Radio Free Bacon" returns for its third season, starting on Sunday
Summer ends with a sizzle as musical variety show "Radio Free Bacon" makes its 2009 debut. This year promises to be "bigger, meatier and tastier," moving from the Zingerman's Roadhouse patio to the West Park Band Shell (215 Chapin St.) for six consecutive weeks of fun. Along with the more spacious locale comes an expanded 2:30-4:00 p.m. time slot, making room for longer musical performances.
Terry Farmer, music director of the series and an established singer/songwriter in his own right, explains, "The show is a celebration of local and regional arts, culture and commerce — everything that makes this area so unique — and on any given week there's a lot to celebrate."
The Roadhouse Revival band, led by Farmer, performs at each week of "Radio Free Bacon," alongside this rundown of special musical guests:
• Sept. 6: The Water Show, featuring Mustard's Retreat
Listen to Mustard's Retreat "Simple Faith" (MP3).
• Sept. 13: The Food Show, featuring Peter Madcat Ruth
• Sept. 20: Michigan Film Show, featuring Annie and Rod Capps Listen to Annie and Rod Capps “Honey, Sugar, Baby, Mine” (MP3).
• Sept. 27: Stories, featuring Finvarra's Wren Listen to a sample of Finvarra's Wren "Luck Of The Irish" (MP3).
• Oct. 4: The Arts Show, featuring U-M Percussion Ensemble
• Oct. 11: That's a (Bacon) Wrap, featuring A2T2 (Ann Arbor Triple Threat): John Latini, Chris Buhalis, Dave Boutette Listen to John Latini and the Flying Latini Brothers "Why Would The King Need The Queen" (MP3).
All this music and fun is free, to boot. But if you can't be there, tune in to Ann Arbor's 107.1 FM for the "Radio Free Bacon" simulcast.
If you're coming out for "Radio Free Bacon," be sure to stop by AnnArbor.com's table. You can meet staff members, sign up for newsletters, get subscription information, share your questions and comments, and pick up some cool free AnnArbor.com swag.
Chrysta Cherrie is the entertainment producer/copy editor for AnnArbor.com. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-623-2526, and follow her on Twitter @chrystacherrie.
Jennifer Shikes Haines
Sat, Sep 5, 2009 : 10:04 a.m.
Oooo, I love this line-up and now I have to decide on Dancing in the Streets or Radio Free Bacon tomorrow. I'm excited that it's moving over to West Park!