You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Sun, Feb 12, 2012 : 5:56 a.m.

Preliminary hearing scheduled for man who allegedly robbed bank after leaving hospital

By Kyle Feldscher

The man who allegedly walked out of St. Joseph Mercy Hospital and immediately robbed a bank will return to court for a preliminary hearing next month.


Joshua Dettlaff

Courtesy of the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office

Joshua Dettlaff, 32, of Ypsilanti is charged with armed robbery, bank robbery and unarmed robbery for the incident on Jan. 26. If convicted, he faces a maximum of life in prison. He will return to court at 8:30 a.m. March 20 for a preliminary hearing.

According to Ypsilanti police, Dettlaff had been arrested on a minor warrant. Police released him into the care of the Huron Valley Ambulance, who brought him to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital where he was treated and released, according to officials.

After leaving the hospital, Dettlaff walked to the Chase Bank on Huron River Drive near the hospital and told a teller he had a gun, according to police. He left the bank and was arrested by officers from the Eastern Michigan University Department of Public Safety and the sheriff’s office along Hewitt Road, according to police.

Dettlaff was discovered running along a bike path near the EMU Convocation Center, according to police.

During his arraignment, Dettlaff attempted to plead guilty to the charges and refused to be represented by the Washtenaw County Public Defender’s Office.

He has previous convictions for third-degree home invasion and attempted unarmed robbery in Saginaw County and two convictions for stealing a financial transaction device in Eaton County, according to state records.

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for He can be reached at or you can follow him on Twitter.



Mon, Feb 13, 2012 : 7:26 p.m.

I hope the picture with this article wasn't taken at the screams "I'm fixin' to tear somethin' up!"


Mon, Feb 13, 2012 : 1:27 a.m.

I have no idea why this man had the need to go to the hospital, what his treatment was. But, I know a couple that have been taken to the hospital by ambulance, not treated and simply walked out. (actually staggered out) I don't think anyone should put the blame on the police, Emt's or hospital staff. If this man was treated and released, it will all come out in the trial. He attemped to plead guilty then refused to be represented? Now we wait until the trial.....and so be what happens from there.


Sun, Feb 12, 2012 : 3:25 p.m.

Shouldn't there have been communication between the hospital and the Ypsilanti Police Department before his release? Was he suppose to have remained arrested after his treatment? Mr. Feldscher do you have any insight to the second question?

Kyle Feldscher

Mon, Feb 13, 2012 : 5:29 p.m.

Gorc- Sorry for the delay. From what I've been told by YPD officers, he was no longer in their custody once he was turned over to HVA. I believe once he was released from the hospital, he was free to go.