Two-hour wait for a Blimpy Burger? See and share photos from Ann Arbor icon's last days
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_06_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_05_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_04_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_03_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_02_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_01_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_12_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_11_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_10_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_09_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_08_fullsize.JPG
- /calendar/photologue/photos/00 Blimpy/cache/081313_NEWS_BlimpyBurger_MRM_07_fullsize.JPG
The average wait was about two hours during lunch hour at Blimpy Burger on Tuesday, but that did not stop many dedicated Ann Arborites from getting a last taste.
Krazy Jim’s Blimpy Burger will close Wednesday at 8 p.m., owner Rich Magner said. The iconic burger joint known for its greasy food and gruff staff was forced to look for a new location after the University of Michigan purchased the building and surrounding properties to make way for a new graduate student dormitory.
Magner told AnnArbor.com that he is in the early stages of negotiating a lease for a new location for the restaurant in downtown Ann Arbor but that there will be a hiatus that could last several months before a reopening.
The history of the institution weighed heavily on many customer’s minds. One family brought three generations for a Blimpy experience that capped over half a century of burgers and fries:
You’ve heard what the people waiting have to say, and we’d like to see what your Blimpy experience has been. Whether your photographs of the Blimpy Burgers and Blimpy Bears have been filtered by Instagram or Father Time, we’d love to see them and share them with our readers.
Share your Blimpy Burger photos with the hashtag #blimpyburger on Instagram and Twitter or by uploading it using the form below:
Check back Wednesday to see our gallery of reader-submitted photos of their Blimpy Burger experiences throughout the years.
Ben Freed covers business for AnnArbor.com. You can sign up here to receive Business Review updates every week. Get in touch with Ben at 734-623-2528 or email him at email@example.com. Follow him on twitter @BFreedinA2