City Place developers expecting to receive demolition permits next week
Ryan J. Stanton | AnnArbor.com
According to sources close to the project, the city's head building official is expected to sign off on the permits on Tuesday. Helminski has indicated he would like to aggressively pursue demolition in the near future, and utility work already is under way on the site.
Once demolition starts, possibly this month, that's seen as the point of no return for the controversial City Place student apartments project that neighborhood residents and city officials have hoped wouldn't materialize.
Ann Arbor resident Tom Whitaker, a neighbor to the project, sent an e-mail to other residents today offering an update on efforts to stop the project. Whitaker and other residents were under the impression the demolition permits had already been issued.
"We filed an appeal with the Zoning Board of Appeals on Tuesday regarding issues with City Place, but the city has taken the position that our appeal does not stay the demolition," Whitaker wrote in the e-mail. "My guess is that the houses will probably come down over the weekend as the developer tries to move quickly before any other potential obstacles emerge."
Sources close to the project say it's not true that demolition will happen this weekend, though it could happen sometime this month.
Wendy Rampson, the city's planning manager, said demolition permit applications for the houses at 407, 411, 415, 419, 427, 433 and 437 S. Fifth Ave. were submitted to the city's building department today. She said they're currently under review for compliance with the city's demolition requirements.
Ryan J. Stanton covers government and politics for AnnArbor.com. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-623-2529. You also can follow him on Twitter or subscribe to AnnArbor.com's e-mail newsletters.