Nine members appointed to Dexter Public Art Selection Committee
The Dexter Village Council unanimously approved nine members for the first Public Art Selection Committee to select the first five pieces of public art that will be displayed throughout the village beginning this summer.
The applications for the temporary sculpture display are due by April 16. It’s hoped that the final recommendations from the committee will be ready for Council review by May 14, with a final decision made at the May 28 council meeting.
Artists will be given a $200 stipend and the installation is expected to occur in June. They are asked to submit up to three original sculptures, and there is a $10 application fee. If an artist's art is sold, 10 percent of the sale price will go to the village's Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee.
Council Member Paul Cousins, who is also a member of the selection committee, called the group "a good mix." Those selected for the committee are:
- Rich Bellas from the Downtown Development Authority
- Brain Brassow from the village’s parks and recreation commission
- Marni Schmid from the Planning Commission
- Aubrey Becker, Tom Rosenbaum and Mary Bowe from the Arts, Culture and Heritage Committee
- Paul Cousins, the Village Council representative
- Mary Ellen Miller and Laura Telesco, residents at large
For more Dexter stories, visit our Dexter page.