Posted on Sat, May 18, 2013 : 10:08 a.m.

Eastbound I-94 at Zeeb closed due to crash

By Cole Bertsos

Editor's note: This story is being updated as information becomes available.

Update: Ann Arbor doctor killed in Saturday morning crash

The accident causing eastbound I-94 at Zeeb Road in Scio Township to be shut down is being reported as fatal, according to a story on ClickOnDetroit.

A Nixle alert was sent out by the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office at 9:50 a.m. Saturday to alert residents of the closure.

ClickOnDetroit also has reported that it is unknown how many passengers or cars were involved in the crash at this time.

When contacted by AnnArbor.com, Michigan State Police were unable to provide any further information about the incident.

It is still undetermined how long the road will be closed

View Larger Map

Comments

Cole Bertsos

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 11:44 p.m.

Here's a link to an updated story: http://www.annarbor.com/news/related-eastbound-i-94-at-zeeb/

alan

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 11:35 p.m.

I was eastbound behind the car in question. It was single car. He/she was eastbound on 94, left the roadway on the right, and struck the first concrete piling that supports the Zeeb Rd. overpass at full speed. Very sad, nobody could have survived that.

poppybutterfly81

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 11:34 p.m.

I saw smoke before I even got the scene of the accident. The car was completely engulfed in flames and they had someone in the grass and were performing cpr are on them. When I came back through about half hour later, they had someone wrapped in cloth and were diverting traffic. My prayers and sympathies with the family.

Cole Bertsos

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 11:10 p.m.

We are working on getting more information, and I will post a link as soon as possible.

johnnya2

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 11 p.m.

If people want to know why journalism is failed in this country, it is the yentas on this comment board DEMANDING to know more details ASAP. What details do you really NEED right away. The only one that matters in YOUR lives is if the highway is closed. I am sure reporting on a web site the name of a person who is killed in an accident or all the gory details really is comforting to the family who lost a loved one. As I recall the "journalists" who got the story first regarding the Boston Marathon bombing got it WRONG (Fox News), so how about people take a breath and allow facts to come out.

Atticus F.

Sun, May 19, 2013 : 12:19 p.m.

people read the news paper, and watch the evening news because they want information about what is going on around them. I'm not sure why you can't understand that... or why this offends you so badly.

Ed

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 10:43 p.m.

I heard who it was on WWJ just now and I am still in shock. He's been my doctor too for just over 10 years. A really great guy and caring physician. May he rest in peace and my prayers are with his family

Olan Owen Barnes

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 10:27 p.m.

This has been my doctor for nearly 10 years and I have never had one better. He has been with me from a liver transplant to the most mundane issues. He has always been available from phone or email and took an active interest in my well being - he was almost a friend and I am saddened and heart broken. Dr. Steven Ernst Gradwohl will live with me as long as take breath. God bless and my you have peace.

Atticus F.

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 9:59 p.m.

I wittnessed the accident as I was driving to jackson this morning. A red toyota celica (traveling east bound) hit the cement post that holds up the over pass. it looked as if the vehicle was litterally split down the middle by the cement pillar, and that the cement pillar was pertruding all the way to the back seat of the vehicle. I'm not sure how many people were in the car, but there is no way anybody could have lived through it.

Leesa

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 9:50 p.m.

A physician from UM was killed in this crash. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Thinkin' it Over

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 8:55 p.m.

There was a heart attack or stroke involved and the driver lost control. Very sad and unexpected.

hail2thevict0r

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 7:54 p.m.

What is it about the Zeeb exit that causes so many crashes, and fatal ones? If I'm not mistaken there was a motorcyclist killed there a couple years ago and another fatal accident a couple years before that. Before they redid those entrances/exits I don't remember nearly the level of accidents we're seeing now. Depending on the facts in this case, maybe they should reevaluate those ramps.

dexterreader

Sun, May 19, 2013 : 3:12 a.m.

I drive that stretch of highway almost every morning. One of the biggest problems is vehicles entering EB I-94 from Zeeb and immediately trying to cut over to the far left lane to get to M-14. One morning I was cut off by a school bus, of all things, entering from the EB entrance ramp. I was in the center lane and the school bus driver cut over in front of me immediately after entering the highway. Had I not reacted quickly, he/she would've caused an accident. That has happened to me twice in the past year in that general area.

hail2thevict0r

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 9:09 p.m.

Well, Argo, I was assuming a bit. But I do know of 2 fatal crashes that happened literally on or right after the exit ramps on both east and westbound I-94 at Zeeb. I talk about the exit because I happen to live in Dexter and know people that drove by the crash. I got the impression that it was by the exit ramp. Could I be wrong? Sure. That's why I specifically said, "depending on the facts in this case". But I think my question is relevant with or without this particular case added in. There actually isn't a lot of highway between the zeeb/baker and zeeb/jackson exits on this stretch of road. The exit at Zeeb or the M14 split seem like the most logical places for an accident to happen.

jcj

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 8:56 p.m.

The map shows an approximate location. But it is seldom a design problem. There is nothing wrong with the design here. Unlike Main & M-14 or the 94 23 ramp.

ArgoC

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 8:34 p.m.

... this is how rumors start ... yes, some facts would be good, maybe before entering leading questions and suppositions in the comments. Where exactly does this or the ClickOnDetroit article say that an exit ramp was involved? Or even that it was close to an entrance/exit? There's a lot of highway that has Zeeb as the nearest exit.

christopher

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 6:51 p.m.

according WDIV, their sources say the freeway reopened around 12.

Laura Jones

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 11:48 p.m.

The comment was for the post below, but no delete or edit functions on AA.com............

Laura Jones

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 11:46 p.m.

Actually, there is no guard rail or water barrels at the concrete pillars of the bridge support. If you look around, most have them. It's rare for that to be hit - but a hit on that structure type is almost always fatal since there is no give. I saw the accident this morning and we looked at all the pillars from then on - most had guard rails. Why not those? I understand it may not have made a difference for this accident, but its good design policy.

Tesla

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 5:37 p.m.

And not only that. Why isn't the site printing anything about the whooping cough outbreak at Pioneer High?

poppybutterfly81

Sun, May 19, 2013 : 12:07 a.m.

The kids were vaccinated which is why the county is scratching its head.

West Side Mom

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 9:17 p.m.

There is a case at Forsythe too. Pertussis is a big deal. Vaccination is not a silver bullet. The effects can linger for months and be very disruptive and disturbing for the patient and his or her family.

JRW

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 8:09 p.m.

Whooping cough is becoming a big problem around the country because people aren't getting vaccinated. The public needs to know when there are an unusual number of cases in the area.

The Infinite Jester

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 6:03 p.m.

because it's not really an outbreak. only like 5 people got it, plus most people are vaccinated.

dancinginmysoul

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 6:01 p.m.

I was wondering that myself.

Tesla

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 5:34 p.m.

Nearly 4 hours after the incident and you can't get any information worth printing besides what you have? You need some better sources or go to people in the department. Papers from 75 miles away have more information than the Ann Arbor News? Weird.

Chris

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 6:19 p.m.

It's a traffic accident, not a race to be first.

Cole Bertsos

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 5:10 p.m.

Thank you for your input. I have been trying to get ahold of officials to confirm what happened, and unfortunately, have yet to speak with anyone who can tell me good or bad news. I'm working on getting something up as soon as possible.

dancinginmysoul

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 4:47 p.m.

This story was updated about an hour ago by mlive and wdiv stating this was a fatal accident.

evenyoubrutus

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 4:43 p.m.

As I drove by it sure looked like there was a body shrouded in a white cloth on the shoulder. I hope not but if it was, that is one of the most disturbing things I have seen. Very very sad. I hope that is not what I saw and that everyone is okay.

ChrisW

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 5:21 p.m.

The Free Press is reporting it as a "fatal" crash.

justcurious

Sat, May 18, 2013 : 4:46 p.m.

It has been several hours and no update. I hope it isn't serious as well and that they just forgot to update the story.