You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 5:59 a.m.

Police still waiting for test results from Nathan Tracy's autopsy

By Kyle Feldscher

More than a month after officials confirmed the death of Trenton teenager Nathan Tracy in Pittsfield Township, police are still waiting for the results of toxicology tests.

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Nathan_Tracy.jpg

Nathan Tracy

Tracy, 19, was found dead on Sept. 8 in a retention pond at the Weatherstone Condominiums off Oak Valley Drive. The Washtenaw County Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed Tracy’s identity on Sept. 11 and Dr. Jeff Jentzen, chief medical examiner, said the official cause of death was unknown at that point.

Jentzen did not respond to attempts by to reach him this week, so no information was available on the status of the toxicology reports.

However, Pittsfield Township Deputy Police Chief Gordy Schick said earlier this week the medical examiner’s office had not sent word to investigators regarding the toxicology reports.

The case remains open until the medical examiner’s investigation is complete, Schick said.

Tracy was last seen at 11:30 p.m. Sept. 5 on Ranchero Drive near Oak Valley Drive. He was driving a Ford Focus, which crashed into a truck parked in a car port. After briefly speaking with a witness, Tracy walked away from the area.

He was reported missing the next day and on Sept. 7, police and volunteers started searching for him in the surrounding area. He was discovered in the retention pond on the morning of Sept. 8.

A message left for Mischelle Tracy, his mother, was not returned Thursday.

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for He can be reached at or you can follow him on Twitter.



Thu, Nov 15, 2012 : 1:48 p.m.

Any updates on the story? It's been almost a month since this post.


Thu, Jan 3, 2013 : 2:35 p.m.

I was just wondering the same thing.


Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 3:38 p.m.

Are they over worked or under staffed at the Washtenaw County Medical Examiner's Office? Whats taking so long?


Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 5:15 p.m.

Craig is correct. Tox reports take time to come back. What is interesting here is that drowning is not the case. If this young man had drowned it would have been apparent at the autopsy.

Craig Lounsbury

Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 4:43 p.m.

weeks or months seems to be the norm for toxicology reports all over the country in my observation from news stories. Only on my favorite cop shoes do they happen in a timely fashion.....less than an hour. ;)

Steve Hendel

Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 12:41 p.m.

You called his mother for comment? How much more insensitive could you get?

Kyle Feldscher

Mon, Oct 15, 2012 : 12:27 p.m.

Just as a response to everyone commenting on this aspect: Calling the family members of people who pass away is literally the worst part of my job. It's not something I enjoy. However, it is part of my job. I wanted to speak with Ms. Tracy in order to find out a little more about Nathan than what we've reported so far and also to check in with her to let her know we continue to follow this case. She decided not to call me back, and that's perfectly understandable — I probably wouldn't call me back either if I was in her situation. Still, I think it's common courtesy for a reporter to let the family of a deceased teenager know that the case is still being reported on and followed.


Sun, Oct 14, 2012 : 7:07 p.m.

Yeah how DARE a reporter ask someone questions! Oh the humanity!


Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 4:38 p.m.

I'm having trouble seeing how its such a bad thing to call the mother to say something to the tune of "A lot of people in Ann Arbor have heard of Nathan's story and remain concerned for the family, is there anything you would like us to communicate to them?" I would like to believe that if I had lost a family member in a tragic accident, I would really appreciate the concern of the community, and the opportunity to respond to them (should I decide that there is something I want to say). Some of you village people should really not be so quick to pick up your pitchforks.

Craig Lounsbury

Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 3:34 p.m.

The last line I am reading, unless its been changed merely says.... "A message left for Mischelle Tracy, his mother, was not returned Thursday." Maybe it was a courtesy call to tell her a story was going to run.


Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 2:22 p.m.

I'm thinking his mother might have a message for you, but probably doesn't want to use that language in public.

Billy Bob Schwartz

Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 1:14 p.m.

Me, too. What planet are you guys from? How about some sensitivity training?


Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 12:47 p.m.

My mouth just dropped when I read that last sentence! Unbelievable!


Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 12:32 p.m.

That is sad. Maybe he had a head concussion. Did anyone think to have him get checked out? He crashed into a car and walked away…It sounds likely that he had internal damage that was not apparent by looking at him. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Jake C

Sat, Oct 13, 2012 : 6:24 p.m.

"Did anyone think to have him get checked out?" He was seen by only one witness before disappearing, so there wasn't exactly a way to get him "checked out" before he vanished after the accident.