You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Mon, Oct 29, 2012 : 11:09 a.m.

Schools in area of reported shooting on U.S. 23 near I-96 on lockdown

By Cindy Heflin

Update: The lockdown at Brighton Area Schools had been lifted as of 11:40 a.m.

Several schools n the area of U.S. 23 and I-96 were reported on lockdown Monday morning as a result of another reported I-96 corridor shooting in the area.

Media reports indicated a freeway shooting had been reported on U.S. 23 north of Interstate 96. Police have not confirmed a shooting occurred.

Brighton Area Schools went on lockdown 9:30 a.m. because of reports they received from the police liaison officer, Superintendent Greg Gray said.

He said schools would remain on lockdown until police advise that it's safe to resume normal operations.

Maple Tree Montessori locked its front door after hearing reports of the shooting director Sue Cherry said. The building only has one entrance open to the outside, she said. Exit doors from classrooms cannot be opened from outside, she said.

She said the school took the action only as a precaution. She said school employees have seen no police or other activity possibly related to the activity in the area.

"We have no indication that the children in our school or even anywhere in the area are in any danger."

Parents arriving at the school will be let in by a staff member, she said.

Police are investigating a total of 24 shootings on I-96 during October, according to the Detroit Free Press. Two shootings took place on Saturday, when one person was injured. That shooting took place near Fowlerville.



Mon, Oct 29, 2012 : 3:52 p.m.

I guess Howell schools were locked down as well.