You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Wed, Jan 16, 2013 : 10:22 a.m.

Fire from wood-burning stove causes extensive damage to rural home

By Cindy Heflin

An old-fashioned wood-burning pot-bellied stove started a fire that caused extensive damage to a two-story home in Superior Township Wednesday.

The chimney caught fire in the second floor of the home in the 7000 block of Vreeland Road, said Superior Township Fire Chief James Roberts. Neighbors saw the fire and called 911, then got the elderly man who lives there out safely, Roberts said.

"This guy was lucky," he said.

The fire broke out shortly before 9 a.m., Roberts said. The second floor and attic were on fire when firefighters arrived. They knocked it down quickly, but it took about an hour to extinguish, he said.

He said the home suffered extensive damage and is not inhabitable.

About 25 firefighters from Superior, Ann Arbor and Salem townships battled the blaze, Roberts said.

It was the second fire Wednesday caused by a wood stove. A fire near Chelsea early Wednesday morning caused about $100,000 damage, firefighters said.

View Larger Map



Thu, Jan 17, 2013 : 1:06 p.m.

People don't realize that requirements for clearance from combustibles have meaning. In general 36" for a non-protected wood burner, can be reduced to 18" with proper separation. 18" on unlined stove pipe for the flue vent. When you put fire in a dwelling, you are taking a chance that more than the intended fuel may combust. Most jurisdictions require a permit and inspection by the Mechanical enforcing agency for compliance of approved installation. If you don't provide the required clearances as well as the proper maintenance to keep the equipment cleaned and maintained, you are asking for trouble...... Stay safe......


Thu, Jan 17, 2013 : 4:46 a.m.

Woodstoves need regular maintenance and chimneys need cleaning at least once a year. Wood must be well seasoned and paper should not be burned. Friends of ours had a chimney fire years ago and they said it sounded like a freight train. They were lucky and didn't have any damage to the house.

dading dont delete me bro

Thu, Jan 17, 2013 : 12:08 a.m.

why post a picture of wcsd carrying a weapon out of the house? now anyone/everyone will know there are firearms here when rebuilt/renovated. if it were my house, i'd be a little upset w

dading dont delete me bro

Thu, Jan 17, 2013 : 2:15 a.m.

ann, i understand and agree with getting firearms and more importantly ammunitions out of a burning structure. i just don't understand why a picture had to be published. if people know you're armed, i suppose they would move on...if YOU are armed. houses get b&e'd when armed people are not at home too.

Ann English

Thu, Jan 17, 2013 : 2:07 a.m.

If I had thought more about it, I would have echoed your thoughts. My initial thought at seeing the firearm taken out of the burning house was that leaving it inside would have caused an explosion. Uncleaned but used firearms, if allowed to gather sufficient dirt, explode. Even unloaded ammunition, in the midst of a fire, explodes. Hopefully this weapon wasn't being confiscated. If people know you're armed, they'll go elsewhere to commit burglary, assault, rape, murder, or kidnapping.


Wed, Jan 16, 2013 : 8:25 p.m.

creosote creosote creosote - need to get chimneys cleaned once in a while to avoid this - feel sorry for the gentleman affected, hope the damage was minimal so he can return home soon.