Grass fire spreads across backyards of 6 homes
Six backyards in an Ypsilanti Township neighborhood were affected by a grass fire Saturday afternoon.
The blaze is an example of the reason Washtenaw County firefighters continue to caution about the dangers of outdoor fires during the recent dry and hot weather conditions.
Photo courtesy of Stewart Beal from Facebook
Ypsilanti Township firefighters responded to the 1100 block of Rue Willette on the township's north side near Clark and Prospect at about 2:45 p.m. Saturday.
The original call came in for a grass fire that was spreading.
By the time firefighters arrived, it had spread across several backyards.
Ypsilanti firefighters assisted the township crews in containing the blaze to 6 properties.
The only damage was to a privacy fence, said Capt. Larry James. No homes were in danger.
However, James cautioned that the township has had a burning ban in effect since June 27.
It's necessary, he said, due to the extreme conditions that increase likelihood that an errant spark could spread quickly into a full-blown blaze. June was the 10th driest on record, with fewer than 1.5 inches of rainfall recorded all month.
Saturday afternoon's fire wasn't caused by fireworks, James added, but that's another potential area for concern among firefighters as the July 4 holiday approaches.
There is a chance of thunderstorms in the Ann Arbor area on Sunday, according to the forecast. The high is expected to reach 90.