Report says Trey Burke expected to leave for NBA, Michigan point guard's father says he hasn't declared
Jeff Sainlar I AnnArbor.com
This story was updated at 5 p.m.
According to one report, Trey Burke's career as a Michigan basketball player is over.
CBSSports.com's Jeff Goodman reported Wednesday that the Wolverines' freshman point guard is expected to leave Michigan after one season and declare for the NBA draft.
Burke's father, Benji, told AnnArbor.com in a text message shortly after the report surfaced that "Trey has not declared and I haven't seen the report."
Minutes later, via his Twitter account, Benji Burke reiterated his comment.
"Trey Burke has not declared for the NBA draft," Benji tweeted. "He is still enrolled at the University of Michigan."
The 5-foot-11 Burke averaged 14.8 points, 4.6 assists and 3.5 rebounds per game last season for the Wolverines, earning the co-Big Ten Freshman of the Year award in the process.
Burke also was the first Michigan player since 1998 to earn mention on The Associated Press' All-America team.
A Michigan spokesman declined comment on the CBS Sports report.
Last month, Benji Burke confirmed that his son planned to seek advice from the NBA undergraduate advisory committee about where exactly he would land in the draft, should he declare.
"We figured we had to at least see what's going on," Benji told AnnArbor.com on March 21. "That's where we're at. We're wanting to see where we're at and go from there.
"As of right now, we would hope that he comes back, that's what we're leaning for. But at the same time, I have to be a dad and steer him right and support him. How do you tell a 19-year-old kid he can't inquire about (the NBA draft). It's very tough, and this is probably going to be one of the toughest decisions he's made in his life."
Should Burke declare, it'd mark the third straight season Michigan has lost a guard early to the NBA draft. Manny Harris left following his junior season in 2010 before Darius Morris left after his sophomore year in 2011.
At present, the only other point guard on Michigan's roster -- outside of Burke -- is senior-to-be Eso Akunne, who appeared in just 12 games last season.
Goodman also reported Wednesday that the Wolverines will host Northfield Mount Hermon (Mass.) School point guard Spike Albrecht for a visit on Thursday.
Want to stay connected to Wolverine basketball in your Facebook newsfeed? “Like” AnnArbor.com's Michigan Basketball News & Views.