Fire spreads from chimney at Dexter Township home
A fire that started in a chimney caused minor damage to a home on North Lake in Dexter Township Sunday night.
The Dexter Area Fire Department responded to a small fire at 10:30 p.m. on Webbs Landing.
Firefighters said the fire spread from the chimney and caused minor property damage and no significant injuries.
The fire is one of several that have spread from chimneys or stoves in the past couple of weeks, causing damage.
Last Sunday, Ann Arbor firefighters extinguished a fire in a wall above a fireplace. The fire appeared to be caused by the fireplace or firebox, they said. Wood-burning stoves have been blamed for fires in Superior Township and Chelsea recently.
Lt. Michael Grissom said residents with chimneys should make sure they have triple wall flues. He said it was also very important to clean the chimneys at least once a year.
"The best thing to do is that if you're going to have it cleaned, have a reputable company come out to do it," he said.
Grissom said that it's easy for an uninformed person to twist the flue, which could allow a fire to spread from the chimney. He added that hiring a professional company to clean the chimney will mitigate personal liability issues if an insurance claim is filed later.
In addition to this advice, Grissom advised against burning "green wood."
"It needs to sit for about a year to dry," he said.