You are viewing this article in the archives. For the latest breaking news and updates in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area, see
Posted on Sat, Jul 27, 2013 : 4 p.m.

Police continue to investigate U-M medical student's death

By Kyle Feldscher

Thumbnail image for DeWolf_Psm.jpg

Paul DeWolf

Ann Arbor police continue to investigate the death of Paul DeWolf, but there was no new information to be released Saturday, according to Detective Lt. Robert Pfannes.

Police are still doing interviews and gathering evidence, which may mean no new information will be released in the next few days.

DeWolf was found dead Wednesday in his home in the 200 block of North Ingalls Street, in a building identified as the Phi Rho Sigma medical fraternity. He was 25.

According to police, his death is being investigated as a homicide. An autopsy report showed DeWolf was killed by a single gunshot wound.

Police said Friday DeWolf was found in his apartment, but the room appeared to be in order and no valuables appeared to be missing. No firearm was found at the scene.

U-M homicide investigation continues

Police continue to investigate the death of a U-M medical student

DeWolf was entering his fourth and final year of medical school, expecting to graduate in May. He was a reserve officer for the United States Air Force and would have entered the service after he graduated.

The Schoolcraft, Mich. native was a graduate of Grand Valley State University and planned on becoming a surgeon.

Police have increased patrols in the area around North Ingalls Street following DeWolf’s death. No suspect information has been released by Ann Arbor police.

Anyone with information on DeWolf’s death is encouraged to call the Ann Arbor police anonymous tip line at 734-794-6939 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK UP (773-2587).

Kyle Feldscher covers cops and courts for He can be reached at or you can follow him on Twitter.



Tue, Jul 30, 2013 : 3:58 p.m.

I may have to suggest that I am not speculating about this homicide investigation. The first three stories published by shared information released by the Police and later the cause of death was confirmed as a single gunshot wound. The story does not specify the location of this wound. I am familiar with gunshot wounds and their treatment. From the story it appears that Police did not discover this wound on Wednesday. I am saying that the most likely location of this wound is head and I would also expect that the individual was not shot in the forehead which is uncovered. There are a few locations of head that are more likely to cause a fatal outcome. From the story I read, there was no 'exit' wound. The medical examiner found one site of entry and not the wound caused by the exit of the bullet. A bullet fired by a high-velocity rifle often enters the body, and then exits from the body at a different location causing two wounds.

Geoff Larcom

Mon, Jul 29, 2013 : 8:13 p.m.

Our hearts ache at this news. Paul was a dazzling medical student, but more important, a terrific, caring human being. We came to know Paul as one of my mother-in-law's students in U-M's Family Centered Experience, a fine program in which medical students pair with an elderly or chronically suffering patient over an academic year to learn about how to deal with real-world circumstances in a caring yet constructive fashion. Paul was a marvelous listener and communicator; my mother-in-law just adored him.


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 4:36 p.m.

My career in Indian Army Medical Corps had a very similar beginning when I was granted Commission in the rank of Second Lieutenant before entering the final year of my medical studies. On completion of my studies, I was granted the rank of Lieutenant and was posted at Military Hospital, Ambala Cantonment. I had certified a death due to homicide caused by a single gunshot wound to the head. I am not surprised to read that the cause of death was discovered by the medical examiner and not by the Police who responded to the incident. When the gun is very small, the low-velocity of the bullet causes a very small wound of entry, and the blood clot seals the wound, and remains hidden because of hair coverage. When the gun is in close contact, the sound is not too loud. Gunshot wounds of head are not always fatal. The injury that involves vital centers, or extensive, internal bleeding could be fatal. It is my impression that the suspect could be a woman, as women prefer to use very, small handguns that can be easily concealed in a purse.


Mon, Jul 29, 2013 : 11:37 a.m.

Again, as previously stated, the medical examiner is the only person that can determine the cause of death, because he/she is a 'medical' examiner. Police officers are not trained (nor should they be) to determine the cause of death. The medical examiner is going to look to see if there were drugs in his system, if he had been strangled to death and then shot post mortum, if there was DNA under his fingernails, etc. The ME will then issue a report an if the police decide to release the details of that report to the media, that's their prerogative. You've taken assumed details and gone down quite the rabbit trail to come to the conclusion that the intruder may have been a woman with a gun in her purse. Let the professionals investigate, and keep theory out of the discussion.


Mon, Jul 29, 2013 : 11:18 a.m.

Though speculative, the comment is based on sound medical facts. AFMC??


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 5:55 p.m.

The first news story clearly reported that the cause of death is unknown for the man found in Ann Arbor home.


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 5:08 p.m.

Thanks for the speculation (sarcasim font still in beta testing). The police may have discovered the wound, but the medical examiner is the only person that can list a cause of death. Even if the police noticed the wound, they wouldn't release those details until the autopsy had been completed.


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 1:32 p.m.

I am sad for the family and others left behind. I hope someone is asking about the circumstances surrounding his death since little has been released. Did he have a room mate? Why did his work send someone to find him when he did't show up? Who could have just walked into his room? Was he in a relationship of some kind? Were guns kept in his room? In the house? Who might have been angry at him? I hope there will be resolution for the sake of the family, for those living in the frat and in the surrounding area.

Alexander Herzen

Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 11:34 a.m.

The city should enlist the help of the university police. They usually have nothing better to do except bother people who are not breaking an actual commandment.

Elaine F. Owsley

Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 11:18 a.m.

Surely someone must have heard the gunshot.


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 4:12 p.m.

Seriously, brain research shows that we're all limited to noticing only a few things at a time. It seems incredible but has been proven time after time. This is why, for example, you see people "absorbed" in cell phone conversations w/o being aware of where they're at and what everyone around them is doing. As for the sound of gun shots: it's about experience. Just as a musician notices nuances (both "good" and "bad") in other people's music, unless one is "oriented" to the sound of gun fire, it's unlikely anyone could even tell if the sound they heard was a gun shot. Loudness: in this case depends mostly on where in the frat house Mr. DeWolf's room was located, how it was furnished and the "power" of the particular gun (unknown at this time) used. So, no, it's not sure at all that someone heard (or recognized) the sound of that particular gun being fired in that particular place at that particular time.


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 12:46 p.m.

Blow some air in a brown bag and pop it, then go ask your neighbors if they heard it. Gun shots aren't as loud as you would expect, especially if the gun was small caliber, which hasn't been released (nor should it).


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 1:13 a.m.

I believe in the old saying: if one doesn't have something good to say - say nothing. Yet, I'm compelled to cry "out loud". This whole story just makes me sad. I feel like I don't have that right, considering how his parents and all of his family must feel. Solve this AAPD

Kyle Feldscher

Sat, Jul 27, 2013 : 10:44 p.m.

To this point, the Ann Arbor police are the only agency investigating this case.


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 5:05 p.m.

UM police have much more important job to do.


Sat, Jul 27, 2013 : 11:49 p.m.

@WalkingJoe My apologies if you are refering to me, you are correct in that the local accident "speculation" was unnecessary. it was a preamble intended to narrow down my scope of reasoning leading to the direct question of outside participation. Kyle clarified that and can certainly delete my original per the comment ruleset.


Sat, Jul 27, 2013 : 11:19 p.m.

I thought you asked people to keep the speculation out of the comments last night. I think everyone needs to be mindful of the family and and how all the junior g-man stuff can only hurt. Take it from someone who's been there.


Sat, Jul 27, 2013 : 9:44 p.m.

Hopefully this will be solved by the end of next week for the family's peace. May justice prevail. My hope is that the family of this man find a means to get through this horrible tragedy.


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 9:53 a.m.

Candice, "asphyxiation associated with drowning" is not murder. does not translate "policespeak" for the lay person but the police do not wait six weeks for toxicology reports in murder investigations.


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 6:55 a.m.

How soon people forget, yes Ypsi-emu-had a student killed which is still unsolved in the past year


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 4:38 a.m.

Really a2citizen? So what does this article mean? I really hope both families find justice and prayers are being sent their way. This is heart breaking, either case, Ypsi or Ann Arbor.


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 1:02 a.m.

anti-thug, the ypsi case is not a murder investigation.


Sun, Jul 28, 2013 : 12:38 a.m.

yes and hopefully the Eastern investigations will be solved aswell.