Your complete guide to coverage of the Dexter tornado
Editor's note: The time has been corrected.
One Dexter resident called it a "miracle'' that there were no deaths or serious injured reported after a tornado tore through the community around 5:30 p.m. Thursday, March 15, but the damage it left in its wake was extensive. Getting in and out of the community amid the rubble and confusion was challenging, and residents sought to comfort each other and offer help in any way they could. Many citizens captured photos or video of the tornado and ensuing damage. AnnArbor.com provided extensive coverage as well.
Here is a roundup of stories, photos galleries and video.
- Sense of community shines in Dexter: 'I have never seen neighbors look out for each other this way'
- Blown away in the storm: Photos, schoolwork among Dexter tornado 'Lost and Found'
- Department of Corrections crews help in tornado cleanup
- Photo gallery: Images after the tornado: Dexter residents salvage what they can, prepare to rebuild
- Dexter tornado update: Officials say more than 200 homes damaged, 20 destroyed
- Dexter tornado aftermath: Schools give students support, time to reflect
- Column: Top 5: Lessons I learned from the Dexter tornado
- Dexter Township Board approves $200,000 for tornado clean-up effort
- Dexter schools: Superintendent announces school resumes Monday, among other tornado updates
- National Weather Service map shows path Dexter tornado took
- 1,000 meals in 24 hours: Dexter tornado relief gets a barbecue boost
- Dexter cleanup effort transforming tornado-wrecked neighborhoods
- Dexter fire chief Loren Yates on tornado: 'In the end, it worked out well'
- Dexter neighborhood picking up the pieces after tornado: 'We just want everything back to normal'
- More AnnArbor.com photos from the tornado aftermath in Dexter
- Dexter tornado was a powerful EF-3, nearly a half-mile wide
- Where to stay: Hotels near Dexter offering discounted rates for people displaced by storm
- Dexter 911 calls: 'I'm being chased by a tornado'
- Washtenaw emergency manager on Dexter tornado destruction: 'Never before in my county'
- More AnnArbor.com photos from the tornado aftermath in Dexter
- March heat wave spawned rare Dexter tornado
- Ann Arbor apartment flooding: Dog found dead, residents displaced
- Dexter musician searches rubble of his home: 'This is the stuff you see on TV'
- Tornado aftermath: Cleanup begins in Dexter
- Flooding at Ann Arbor apartments displaces at least a dozen people
- Tornado destruction at Hudson Mills Metropark golf course: 'Like someone came along with an egg beater'
- Lost wedding photo blown into gutter by Dexter tornado
- Huron Farms: Dexter neighborhood devastated after tornado damages dozens of homes
- Weather service map pinpoints Southeast Michigan tornado, hail, funnel cloud sightings
- Follow live Tweets on the Dexter tornado recovery effort
- AnnArbor.com reader photos from the Dexter-area tornado, storm
- Humane Society of Huron Valley offers emergency services for displaced pets
- Volunteers coalesce to help Dexter community recover from tornado
- How to donate to Dexter tornado relief efforts
- Several videos of Dexter tornado surface
- What was your experience during Thursday's storm?
- Red Cross opens shelters for storm victims, accepts donations for relief
- Tornado rips through Dexter area: No deaths, serious injuries reported so far from Dexter area tornado
- Firefighters injured, apartments evacuated as storm blows through Ann Arbor
- Photos of tornado's destruction
- Video reports: Destruction at homes, businesses
- Dexter residents shocked by 'surreal' scene left by Thursday's tornado
- Power out for about 2,000 DTE Energy customers after Dexter tornado
- Home video footage: Tornado barrels through Washtenaw County
- READER PHOTOS AND VIDEO: Images from the Washtenaw County storm
- Early reports on tornado damage
- Tornado touchdowns reported in Washtenaw County
- Dexter Community Schools cancels Friday classes following tornado
- Rep. Mark Ouimet on scene of Dexter tornado since Thursday: 'I haven't been to bed yet'
Wed, Mar 21, 2012 : 12:14 p.m.
I have AAA. My claim was taken early Friday morning, the adjuster called me immediately and sent out a contractor and roofer early that day. They were helpful and bent over backwards to answer all of my questions and has been in contact daily. They have already processed checks to pay our tree service for removal of trees that day also. There is a claim center in the village also- although I was able to do all of our claims over the phone. We didn't have to wait for someone to come out and see all of the damage, we could start work right away. I commend AAA for being there for us! They are wonderful
Mon, Mar 19, 2012 : 12:29 a.m.
I am disgusted that every major insurance company was all over this EXCEPT AAA. God help those who discovered too late that AAA has become little more then an out of state 800 number answered by a third party answering service. ...but you sure better pay your premiums on time!!
Sat, Mar 17, 2012 : 7:58 p.m.
Map of the tornado path: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dtx&storyid=80731
Fri, Mar 16, 2012 : 7:11 p.m.
wc-redcross.org is where you can donate
Fri, Mar 16, 2012 : 5:08 p.m.
it would be helpful to put together a map of the tornado path. going through all the stories and trying to do it in my head is tough. also any roads or areas that are closed so that people can avoid them.
Sat, Mar 17, 2012 : 8 p.m.
Fri, Mar 16, 2012 : 6:03 p.m.
The only road still closed is Dexter-Pinckney at Territorial. The funnel started at Peach Mountain, cut down across Territorial behind Dexter Pinckney, hit Horseshoe Bend and cut across the park, ran down the back side and hit along Huron River Drive about half way into town. It finally popped into town at the Mill and took out the Suds Bucket at Second St and the car wash. It seems to have dropped again at Huron Farms.
Fri, Mar 16, 2012 : 2:45 p.m.
Oddly enough, I was hoping to find coverage and photos on A2.com of the extensive though far less extreme damage done here in Ann Arbor.
Sat, Mar 17, 2012 : 4:45 p.m.
Tornado vs Storm? Tornado wins!
Fri, Mar 16, 2012 : 1:45 p.m.
Interesting that the people of Dexter have just had their houses mowed down and the only comments are about AM or PM and whether or not the site works...............
Fri, Mar 16, 2012 : 1:38 p.m.
Interesting that the people of Dexter have just had their houses mowed down and the only comments are some BS about AM or PM and whether or not the site works...............
Fri, Mar 16, 2012 : 12:59 p.m.
How about getting the time right: 5:30 PM, not AM!