The mega guide to week 5: A comprehensive look at Michigan at Michigan State
WHAT: Michigan (4-0 overall, 1-0 Big Ten) vs. Michigan State (1-3 overall, 0-1 Big Ten).
WHERE: Spartan Stadium, East Lansing.
WHEN: 12:01 p.m., Saturday.
LAST MEETING: Michigan State 35, Michigan 21 (2008).
BROADCAST INFORMATION: Television: Big Ten Network. Radio: WOMC 104.3-FM. WTKA 1050-AM.
- The running game matters, especially in this series.
- Some Michigan fans enjoy traveling to see the Wolverines, and many are traveling to East Lansing on Saturday.
- Â How do the players experience the rivalry year-round? Michigan corner Donovan Warren tells a tale about running into one exuberant Spartans fan at the airport.
- If you're thinking about camping tonight, Waterloo State Recreaction area is getting into the swing of the game by hosting competitions between the fans of both teams.
- Notes: J.T. Floyd will start ahead of Boubacar Cissoko at cornerback, while Tate Forcier's health shouldn't be a hindrance for the Wolverines.
- The folks at bleacherreport.com look at the three freshmen QBs who have started in Michigan history, with special emphasis on Rick Leach.
- AnnArbor.com reporter Michael Rothstein chats with Joe Rexrode of the Lansing State Journal about the underachieving Spartans in this Q&A session.
- A hard-core Michigan fans convinces Denard Robinson to autograph his forehead. Brian Cook at mgoblog.com has photographic evidence.
- Michigan State quarterback Keith Nichol is thrilled to follow in the footsteps of Drew Stanton at the helm of the Spartans.
- Walk-ons are playing a prominent role for the Wolverines this season -- and perhaps beyond -- writes Larry Lage of The Associated Press.
- Capsule previews of every Big Ten game, including the best one: Undefeated Wisconsin at Minnesota.Â
- AnnArbor.com reporter Dave Birkett hosts a live chat each Thursday to answer readers' questions about Michigan and its opponent. Here's the recap of this week's discussion, as well as Dave's prediction for Saturday's outcome.Â
- One tale from the rivalry's archives: Michigan equipment manager Jon Falk talks about the time he almost gave the Paul Bunyan Trophy away.
- Michigan linebacker Obi Ezeh says the Wolverines defense is still looking for a "statement game" in this Q&A with AnnArbor.com's Jeff Arnold.
- For Michigan equipment manager Jon Falk, the Paul Bunyan Trophy has special meaning. He tells AnnArbor.com's Jeff Arnold about the history of the trophy.
- If the Wolverines want to reach their goals this season, they'll have to improve their defense, opines AnnArbor.com's Michael Rothstein.
- Video: Rich Rodriguez talks about trying to keep his players from adding verbal fuel to the rivalry fire.
- Practice update with video: Tate Forcier's feeling better and center David Moosman is practicing his snaps.
- Keeping up with Michigan State linebacker Greg Jones, the anchor of the Spartans defense.Â
- Wolverines linebacker Obi Ezeh literally gave Michigan and former coach Lloyd Carr the shirt off his back, Dave Birkett writes.
- Indiana coach Bill Lynch says he's moved past the controversial ending to last week's game with Michigan.Â
- Video: MSU defensive end Trevor Anderson: "I never liked Michigan."
- Video: MSU linebacker Greg Jones talks about the Spartans D, as well as the team's rivalry with Michigan.
- AnnArbor.com reporter Michael Rothstein scouts ahead at the Wolverines' opponent, breaking down the Michigan State-Notre Dame game.
- Even if it hasn't yielded success, Michigan State is sticking with its two-quarterback system, writes Michael Rothstein.
- In this opinion piece, Rothstein writes that Saturday's game is big for both teams, but for the Spartans, their entire season hangs in the balance.
- Video: Michigan State receiver Blair White talks about his connections to Michigan.
- Kevin Grady is thrilled to be a Wolverine, even if his grandmother is a Spartans fan, writes Dave Birkett.
- Saturday's game isn't about reclaiming the state, Rich Rodriguez says on the Big Ten conference call.
- More Rodriguez: Michigan's coach is "awfully grateful" for the support he's received during the team's 4-0 start to the season.
- For Michigan State, this is it. The Wolverines are their biggest rival. Mark Dantonio discusses the rivalry in this video.
- MVictors.com commemorates Tom Harmon's birthday by unearthing photos of the Michigan legend dodging a drunk fan.
- Michael Rothstein breaks down more film, this time reviewing the 36-33 Michigan victory over Indiana last Saturday.
- Notebook: J.T. Floyd is battling Boubacar Cissoko for a starting cornerback position; Injured center David Molk is using a bone stimulator to help heal a broken foot.
- Rich Rodriguez and Mark Dantonio aren't sharing tea and crumpets and emphasize "this is not a normal game."
- Tate Forcier talks about his injured shoulder, and coaches say he'll be fine for Saturday's showdown in East Lansing.
- Video: Rich Rodriguez talks about what he sees in tape of Michigan State, and sees them in a similar position as the Wolverines: Talented, but hurt by big plays.
- Video: Donovan Warren talks about his game-saving interception against Indiana.
- Rich Rodriguez is preparing his young players for their first road trip of the season. The key? "Communication," Rodriguez tells Jeff Arnold in his Monday notebook.
- Alumni update: The New York Times says Mario Manningham has become a player the New York Giants can count on.
- Three unbeaten teams remain in the Big Ten. Here are the standings.
- In his weekly "Birk's Eye View" column, Dave Birkett says the Michigan defense remains a concern; Tate Forcier does not.
- Through four games, here are cumulative statistics for Michigan and its players.
- You can find game-by-game box scores for the Wolverines here.
- Along the same lines, here are cumulative statistics for the Spartans, and game-by-game box scores are here.
- Click here for Big Ten standings and here forÂ Big Ten statistics (note that Michigan leads the conference in scoring offense).Â