Michigan 31, Illinois 14: Michigan 31, Illinois 14: Your comprehensive guide to our coverage
Melanie Maxwell I AnnArbor.com
Yes, Fitz Toussaint had a tremendous game. But there's little arguing that the Michigan football team's defense beat Illinois on Saturday.
When's the last time you could say that?
The Illini didn’t pick up a first down until three minutes into the second quarter, didn’t reach Michigan territory until the final minutes of the third quarter and finished with 214 total yards in the Wolverines' 31-14 win.
Yes, the defense won this one. And defensive coordinator Greg Mattison willingly and emotionally claimed the victory for his unit.
"We talk about it all the time, but there's a standard at Michigan, and you have to live up to that, and you're judged by it," Mattison said. "We (hadn't) come to that final point where you win a game on defense, and we said that this is our last away trip to do it. I couldn't be more proud of a group of guys."
AnnArbor.com had the game covered from pre-game to post-game. Here is a compilation of game day details you can find on our site:
• Denard Robinson goes down with another injury, but Devin Gardner picks up the save in relief
• Associated Press: Another slow start dooms Illinois in fourth consecutive loss
• Photo gallery: Melanie Maxwell's favorite images from Saturday.
• Grade the Wolverines: Your chance to rate Michigan's performance on offense, defense, special teams, coaching and overall.
• Game balls: They go to Fitz Toussaint, J.T. Floyd and others.
• We strung together live updates throughout the game. Check them out here.
• And you can also revisit our always-lively live chat. That transcript can be found here.
• We asked you to predict the outcome of the game. Seventy-seven percent thought Michigan would win, but just 14 percent thought the Wolverines would win by "14 or more points." The most popular choice (34 percent) was Michigan by 7-13 points.
Michigan State 37, Iowa 21: Kirk Cousins throws three touchdown passes as Spartans take a step toward the Legends Division title. (MSU coverage)